I smell snow! *what up Gilmore Girls reference* Well I wish I did, Christmas in summer has it’s downfalls, but they don’t apply to the yummy treats we get to indulge in! I watched Zoella’s easy Christmas treat video and fell in love with the Christmas tree brownies and decided I had to make my own, my family was thrilled that holiday baking got off to an early start…
I used an old recipe I had for nutella brownies, but I didn’t have any nutella, so I just used nutflo, basically it’s cheaper yet still tasty version of nutella I found at my local spice shop. It’s a great substitute when baking.
If you don’t already have a tried and tested brownie recipe on hand, here’s a foolproof one… ( I doubled the mixture when making these to get enough for everyone)
you will need:
- 125ml flour
- 1ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml nutella or any chocolate hazelnut spread
- 125ml brown sugar
- 5ml vanilla extract (!!!)
- 125ml melted unsalted butter, cooled slightly
- I just threw in a cup of marshmallows for fun but nuts work even better
And it’s so simple to make
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, hazelnut spread, brown sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth, about two minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture, alternating with the melted butter.
- Spoon all of that gooey goodness into a 20cm cake tin and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, a good estimate of time is 35-40 minutes.
Once they’ve cooled cut the brownie into triangles
Then its time to ice!
I used about
- 50g butter
- 200ml icing sugar
- 1 Tb milk
- 1 Tb vanilla essence
- green food colouring
Once I got the green that I liked I just squiggled my icing onto the brownies and then decorated my trees!
How festive and cute do they look! And you’ll have all your guests impressed!
Hope you guys enjoyed this little festive inspired post!
P.S. Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe! (Click on that little plus sign in the circle at the bottom of the page)